Wednesday 4 April 2018

The Blenheim Blooper?


I know I can't be the only aircraft enthusiast who has some kind of memorabilia associated with the topic.

Some might have the odd book, picture, model or memento from a loved one that actually served in an air force, past or present. Others might have rather large collections and able to convey the special to them meaning behind every piece. I think I am somewhere in the middle, a few items from all the columns.

However, this one is rather special to me. 

A recent internet search produced some surprising results. Turns out this is a fairly inexpensive and widely available tea towel. In my case, an old man, claiming to be part of a wartime, Commonwealth bomber crew, gifted it to my captivated and interested younger self. Before I noticed that girls were a very good thing, I would sit with a small and growing smaller every passing year group of old men, who shared their experiences of the war. From those who claimed to be fighter pilots, dancing in the skies to other who rode up high on what one described as the "Rocky Bomber Highway," I would listen and absorb their adventures, good and bad, imagining myself with them on their journeys of recollection (no doubt that some details might have the embellishment treatment).

The tea towel was one of those few gifts that has survived all these years, bagged up and folded away, waiting for the right time to be mounted and displayed. My plan is to someday put into a "shadowbox" and hang it on the wall, next to some other items of interest to me.

Until then, barring any interruptions, I will fly the virtual versions of those aircraft in World of Warplanes, as more of them become available....

No comments:

Post a Comment