Wednesday 7 March 2018

No Boogeyman Today


Have a look at this screenshot from World of Warplanes and take note on some of the more obvious things you might see.

Perhaps you noticed this Spitfire is above it's optimal operational altitude, or it is attacking one of the most fearsome, new planes in the game, the tier VIII premium Myasishchev RB-17 Soviet jet bomber. Maybe it's the healthbars on both aircraft that caught your eye or some other detail worth mentioning. In any case, some players might call this a "foolhardy venture (or another term that better sums up "You'll be sorry" or "What where you thinking?"), while others could make the claim, "Pfft, I do this sort of thing everyday" or similar comments along those same lines.


In the end, I finished off the task that was presented to me, with credit to the help I received to do it.

Granted, it wasn't a player controlled aircraft and that alone could prompt certain remarks from those in the community. However, that doesn't diminish two things, taking one down with a Supermarine Spitfire XIV flown by me and literally living to tell the tale. In fact, I would repeat this twice more before the end of this sortie, for a total of three RB-17 kills/assists to add to my tally wall.

My point? Yes, I do have one. 

I viewed the RB-17 as a menacing, almost "untouchable" Boogeyman, since everytime I attacked one before, it didn't end well for me. There were a few times since it was just introduced that I survived it's powerful and very long ranged rear cannon, but that was enough to instill a "leave that one alone" attitude when I saw them on the enemy team. Today, I wanted to make things different and pushed my plane past it's limits in altitude, performance and durability.




If only for today and during that one battle, I scared the Boogeyman back into the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment