Wednesday 20 December 2017

That Awkward Stormfront


Without replaying my broken record of disappointment in the Hawker Hurricane IID again (I cover that in the video), I will say this plane is special to me.

Of all the real life aircraft that have existed (second only to the Avro Arrow), it was those forgotten Hurricanes, over shadowed by the Supermarine Spitfire during the Battle of Britain, has drawn me to them and at an early age. In fact, it was the first time I watched the Battle of Britain movie that set things in motion.

From books (I could spend hours just re-reading the chapters on them, enough to produce nausea) to TV shows and even the rare chance to talk with real pilots who flew them , the Hurricane became a quiet obsession for me. Over the years, I built a few models (none have survived to this day) and played them in every video game that I could lay my hands on, including World of Warplanes.

Some day, I will fulfill another dream with these aircraft, I will lay my eyes on a real one and complete a journey many years in the making. Perhaps, I will even be able to touch it and quantify, once and for all, a physical connection to my quiet obsession.

Until then and the next update, slated to come in less than a day, I have the IID. The funny thing, I think the ingame plane heard my thoughts on this matter....

No comments:

Post a Comment