Friday 4 August 2017

Indomitable


For the final part of Operation Dynamo, I wanted to it to end with a big bang. 

I have been rather reluctant to fly my top tiered British aircraft, the tier IX Gloster P.228 in the past, for a few reasons. Despite having a very strong resemblance to the Gloster Meteor (in fact, the P.228 is a two seater Meteor for all intents and purposes, just a little more grown up and put on a few extra pounds), it doesn't fly like it.

While having a fantastic climb and dive rate, strong boost characteristics and decent firepower, the maneuverability of this aircraft falls very short, as compared to say, the Germans. Evasive turns haven't been a successful option in the past and when I need to spool up the engines for a fast get away, more often than not, I discover I have already overheated them.

Then, there's the price one pays to fly in the top tiers. Granted, if I produce average or better battle results and stay alive, the rewards can be quite lucrative. A defeat and death hurts not only the pride but the bank takes a serious hit as well.

Nevertheless, I was willing to take a chance on myself and this plane in combat for a grand finale.... 

 
I bet nobody saw that coming.

Claiming my results from that performance was achieved solely through skill would be nothing more than a self-delusional, patronizing statement, at best. I know I got lucky, no denying that, but I will accept whatever help, be it from ingame Allies, oblivious enemies or some unexplainable, outside force that many refuse to acknowledge exists.

After one more battle for the final victory required....


....I could claim my prize.

Despite the fact I was able to make the time to start, participate and complete the Dunkirk Spitfire Ia, I am glad I didn't try to push too hard and attempt the Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 as well. With the surprise and short window of opportunity LaGG-3-4 event, I would have been greatly disappointed to have to abandon one task to complete another, or push myself beyond my leisure limits and time available for all three aircraft. Besides, I have never been a big fan of marathons and avoiding any chance of putting a certain sour taste in my mouth, the better.

I set out with a goal and I achieved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment