Saturday 25 February 2017

Taking Off!

Starting over from where my last aircraft blog died and going forward into the virtual and real realms of powered, combat flight. With touches of gaming and real life history thrown in, a splash of humor and a lot of personal opinion, sometimes supported with actual facts, strap in and enjoy the ride.


First off, the reason behind the choice for my header picture.

Ever since I was young, I have been fascinated by seeing "tons of metal flying in the sky." As I got older, I became more educated on the science behind the sorcery of flight and how man was able to put these heavy machines in the air. Although I marvel at just about every type of aircraft, it's the jet powered ones that really captivated my interest.

While some aficionados like to relive the era of propeller combat flight, starting from 1914 and up through 1945, it's the post-war jet age, starting from around 1946 to the present day, that draws my attention and curiosity. However, the later war period that produced aircraft, such as the Messerschmitt Me 262, the Gloster Meteor and the de Havilland Vampire, hold a special place for me.

However, neither of these aircraft are pictured above, instead I have a pair of McDonnell Douglas CF-188 Hornets that are currently in service with the Royal Canadian Air Force, as the nation's main, frontline fighter. I will never get to fly one of these modern technological wonders, since I am far past the prime age for training and active Air Force flight service, but thanks to the mystical powers of computer gaming and the internet, I might "fly" one someday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment